No, this is not an X song! Instead I thought it was a good day to remind of you of a few writely events that had nothing to do with fireworks, baseball, or apple pie.
Once upon a time, on the fourth of July, these things happened:
- 1804 Nathaniel Hawthorne, American writer (The Scarlet Letter) was born.
- 1845 Henry David Thoreau begins his 26-month stay at Walden Pond (that's his cabin up there).
- 1855 Walt Whitman publishes the first edition of Leaves of Grass at his own expense.
- 1862 Charles Dodgson first tells the story of Alice's adventures down the rabbit hole during a picnic along the Thames.
- 1865 - 1st edition of "Alice in Wonderland" is published
- 1895 The poem America the Beautiful is first published.
- 1931 Novelist James Joyce and Nora Barnacle are married in London after being together for 26 years.
Any that I'm forgetting?